Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11


Where were you when it happened?

It's hard to believe that it's been seven years since the tragedy. Is it still officially Patriot's Day today? It seems like I don't hear too much about celebrating it anymore. I saw some flags up today--not a ton though. Has it gotten less and less of an observance as time has gone by?

My family was living in a hotel in Lehi at the time. Yes, living there! We were waiting to get into our house in American Fork and had to stay in the hotel for six weeks. Not just your typical six weeks either. It was my first year teaching and I had to start out from living in the hotel. In fact, all four of us would get ready in the morning and head down to eat our free breakfast. While eating, we would watch the television. Then we would all head to Orem. I would get dropped off at Bonneville Elementary by 7:20am and Steve and Sierra and Jordan would all go to Orem Elementary. 

That morning we were eating and watching the t.v. when it showed the first plane crash. I remember Steve and I thinking what kind of dumb pilot didn't see the big building? And then we kept watching all the rest. By the time I got to work, everyone had radios on and the PM kids arrived later talking all about it. It's hard to forget that day and the days following when we sat in our hotel room glued to the t.v. 

I guess that's what I'm hoping to do--is to not forget. 

3 comments:

a wynn wynn situation said...

It feels like yesterday and I'll never forget being in my room staring at the TV in shock.
I saw a flag at half mast today and I heard they are shining the tower lights tonight but it isn't quite as present in our minds as it was-

Trishelle said...

Deanna, thank you so much for your tribute. I appreciate the opportunity to reflect on what happened.

That morning I woke up with a phone call from my boss telling me to stay home that day because they canceled school at the co-op where I was teaching. He then told me to turn the television on.

I will never forget holding my 7 month old and staring in disbelief. I just kept thinking "When are they going to say this was just a 'drill'?"

I will also never forget hearing President Hinckley's voice as he addressed the members of the church shortly after and feeling a measure a peace in the middle of all the madness.

Carol said...

It's the same way we (older people) felt when President Kennedy was shot and killed. Dad and I were on our honeymoon in San Francisco. You go numb for a while, then it all begins to sink in. 9/11 was the second time I felt like that. I was home alone and listening to the Today Show and saw the second plane... We watched the special Thursday night and those feelings were still there. God bless America! Mom

blog stats
Visitors