This piece is for the Scribbit July writing contest. Great site, check it out!
Heaven Must Be Full of Wonder Women
Sunday morning--two different cities--we both woke up and ate breakfast.
Hers was burnt toast, to which she scraped off the black layer into the kitchen sink like she always did. Why waste a piece of edible bread? She also had a small glass of orange juice that was purchased at the commissary.
Mine was a chocolate chip cookie from the night before accompanied by a bowl of Lucky Charms. Typical teenager.
She ate slowly, thinking about her day ahead. A great day it would be. Her daughter was coming to visit, along with her son-in-law and her two granddaughters, as they so often did. There was nothing that could bring her more pleasure. She got dressed, lounged around and waited.
I scarfed down my junk food breakfast and hurried to get dressed for church. Why was it always such a rush? The curling iron was working overtime on all those layers. And then there's all that blue eye shadow to apply. Hurry, it's time to go.
She was feeling a bit tired and told him that she wanted to lie down on her bed until they arrived. So with a peaceful smile on her face, she closed her eyes to rest.
I was left behind and would have to meet up with my family at church. That darn rip in my nylons really slowed me down. I guess I had time for another cookie.
He held her tight in a panic, uselessly shouting her name. What was wrong? How could this be happening? She let out one long last breath and then she was gone.
I answered the phone. He sounded so confused and sad. I couldn't hear him anymore, his words muffled by the sounds of my cries.
I had to go late into church and tell my mom and watch her heart break with unbearable hurt.
My grandma would never smile at me again. I would never get to hold her warm, wrinkled hand again in mine. I would not be able to hear her laugh at my grandpa being silly. She would never hold me close again in a giant marshmallow hug. There would be no more waving good-bye after a visit, looking so forward to the next.
That day my mom lost her mom, I lost my grandma, but Heaven gained another Wonder Woman.

5 comments:
Oooooo I LOVE IT!!! You are an AMAZING writer, D! I'm so glad you entered and glad I got to read something you wrote- I had a feeling you were very artsy fartsy :)
I don't know about the 'artsy' part, but after a veggie burrito I can become very fartsy!
I'm so glad you shared about this site. I thought your piece was so awesome. It's fun to have a purpose for writing and one that connects and inspires you.
Okay I'm wiping the tear away . . .
Deanna: I don't know if people are aware this is a true story. You put it to words so sweetly. I can still remember that day more than twenty years ago. This month she would have been 97 years old. What a tribute to your grandma and my mom. Thanks. Love, Your Mom
LOVED this! Made me cry. What a great tribute to your grandma.
Post a Comment