Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Who Stole the Cookie From the Cookie Jar?


I have a child that likes to each the last of everything. The last cookie--gone, the last pack of Yogos--gone, the last really cool junk food that mom bought to last all week--gone. So I had this big talk (slightly yelling lecture) about how if you are going to eat the last of something, then you have to get permission from me first. I made some lemon glazed zucchini muffins (new recipe) and I didn't even get to try one! I'm the cook for cryin out loud! 

Now though, this child is obeying by not eating the last of something, but leaving like a tablespoon left. Chocolate milk--there's one swallow left. Queso dip that is mom's favorite--there is one chip worth left. (Maybe half a chip worth.) Leftover dessert--one scrape left. 

So what's a mother to do? I hate hiding food because they usually find it. (Except the frozen broccoli bag in the freezer has my Dove dark chocolates in it. And my box in the bathroom with feminine supplies is another good place, yet not too convenient for me to get to.)

Am I going to need a combo lock safe or what?

5 comments:

a wynn wynn situation said...

I like the frozen broccoli idea that I am totally going to use :)
Maybe it's me- maybe I've been slipping into your house unawares and eating your yummy food. At least I know all the good hiding spots to check now...

Carol said...

OK, here's Grandma's version. One day, you'll have it all, because they won't be there to "take" it. You just might wish they were back taking that one last bite. Love, Mom

Trishelle said...

Brilliant hiding places! No one would ever look there! Hahaha!

I remember as a kid my mom would always get so frustrated by the fact that our spoons would all disappear. When we moved and emptied out the freezer in the garage, there were dozens of spoons where they kept the ice cream buckets.

Serena Laird said...

My mom is in LOVE with Dove dark chocolates and now so am I. She would only tell me where her hiding spots were because she thought the other kids just didn't appreciate how good they were. She would hide them in her quilting accessories that she kept by the couch...sometimes in the food storage closet too, nobody looked there!

jill allison said...

Hysterical. I just came away with 2 hiding places. My mom use to always hide stuff in the laundry room, and we were so annoyed, since we knew where the goods were hiding! As much as we liked to make fun of her and declare we would 'never' do that, here we are, all doing it. Way to show em whos in charge!

blog stats
Visitors