Here you are on that date and you have been completely fine and able to have fun and hold a normal conversation throughout the evening. Perhaps you went out to dinner and a movie and everything has been fine. Maybe even delightful.
He's driving you home now and you two have been chitchatting wonderfully. Commenting about the band on the radio as he pulls up to your house. He cuts the engine, gets out of the car and shuts the door.
BAM!
What just happened? Suddenly a huge cloud of awkwardness has settled over the two of you. You are now the dumbest people alive, but you just don't know it.
He has let you out and you silently proceed to the front door. You stand facing each other, but without even looking at one another.
Your thoughts are racing. Since when did it get so quiet? Is he going to kiss me? What will it be like? Is that sweat rolling off his forehead?
His thoughts are racing. Should I kiss her? How will she react? Why the heck am I sweating like a pig? I hope she doesn't notice.
The nervous silence has forced the two of you to start talking. But this is not any kind of logical conversation; it's "stupid talk".
He starts off with the usual, "I had a great time tonight."
While looking at the ground you say, "Yeah, me too. Remember that one lady at the movie?"
He responds, "Oh yeah, she was weird," while looking down. Then he adds, "I like you're welcome mat. It's cool."
You so intelligently reply, "Yeah, I know, thanks." And as if you can't keep your foolish mouth quiet you throw in, "My grandma gave it to us. She's old and just moved. She has a cat too."
What the heck are we saying?
And then it happened somewhere in-between a pause in our ridiculous
dialogue.
BAM!
That was it. We kissed. I ran inside and he drove away.
Every first kiss story can end in two different ways.
Ending #1: You really like him and anticipated the kiss all night. You weren't disappointed and floated inside, barely aware that you brushed your teeth
and got into bed. Smiling as you drift off to sleep, knowing this will be a diary
entry tomorrow.
Ending #2: You are not into him and dreaded the kiss all night. As soon as it happened, you ran inside, very aware that you brushed your teeth, your lips, and used too much mouthwash. Laying in bed with a burning mouth, you
think about how you're going to tell your best friend, who is very comforting, all about this nightmare tomorrow.
This is a piece for Scribbit August Writing Contest.

5 comments:
It's always the toughest part of the whole experience--I was always a ball of nerves!
So true! Has everyone not gone through this? Love the two options at the end. And I LOVE the new banner and re-design of your blog! So YOU.
Love it! I feel like I was on the date with you :)
That was hysterical!! BAM! Liked it!
Yep - those are always some awkward moments!
Post a Comment